Zero carb diet is a diet plan in which the goal is to consume absolutely no carbs whatsoever. In other words, in a zero carb diet plan, you do not consume any sugar, starch or fiber. Sugar, starch and fiber are what comprise carbohydrates. Some people are surprised to learn that in a zero carb diet, you also eliminate fiber.
There is a debate as to whether a zero carb diet is healthy or even sustainable. There certainly appear to be people who are on a zero carb diet, and doing just fine health-wise (1). However, it is true that sticking to a zero-carb diet, in which you eliminate all fruits and vegetables, may simply be unrealistic for many people with families and full-time jobs with various outings that involve regular food.
What Can You Eat On A Zero Carb Diet?
If you are still interested in learning more about the zero carb diet, below is a list of foods you can eat on the zero carb diet. The crux of the diet will be meat, eggs and fats.
Zero Carb Foods
Below are foods that have absolutely no carbs (2):
Water (still, sparking)
Tea (green, black)
Other dairy products, such as butter, cheese, and sour cream, may have zero carbs but will depend on the brand, so you should check the label.
What Alcohol Does Not Have Carbs?
While the below alcoholic beverages have no carbs, for weight loss, alcohol is not recommended as part of the zero carb diet. This is because alcohol is generally not healthy (3) to begin with, slows down weight loss, and people on zero-carb diets tend to have much lower tolerance to alcohol (4).
Alcohol With Zero Carbs:
Zero Carb Diet Tips
- Those on a zero carb diet are suggested to eat animal organs, such as liver and kidney, to get the essential vitamins and minerals your body needs. Some believe that tribes that eat predominantly only meat, such as the Inuit, maintain their health by eating animal organs (5).
- Monitor your responses and discontinue the diet if you do not feel well for an extended time. Every person is different and this diet may not be ideal for your body.
(1) Zero Carb Health; The Human Natural Diet and the Evolution of the Zero Carb Diet: https://www.zerocarbhealth.com/index.php/2016/09/02/the-human-natural-diet-and-the-evolution-of-the-zero-carb-diet/
(2) United States Department of Agriculture: https://www.ars.usda.gov/northeast-area/beltsville-md/beltsville-human-nutrition-research-center/nutrient-data-laboratory/docs/sr28-download-files/
(3) Mercola; Even Moderate Alcohol Consumption May Be Far More Harmful Than Previously Thought: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2017/01/21/moderate-alcohol-consumption-may-cause-harm.aspx
(4) Ruled.me; The Ketogenic Diet and Alcohol: https://www.ruled.me/ketogenic-diet-and-alcohol
(5) Wikipedia; No-carbohydrate diet: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-carbohydrate_diet