What Is the Delicious Watermelon Diet?
The watermelon diet is tasty, can help you lose weight and detox your body in an easy way. That at least is the claim, but is it true?
There are 3 versions of the watermelon diet. The most popular version is the Three Day Watermelon Diet where dieters eat nothing but watermelon for 3 days for quick weight loss.
After that, dieters return to their regular diet. It is easy to do, tasty and short.
It is not surprising that watermelon is being used as a way to lose weight. The fruit is very nutritious and has characteristics that are ideal for weight loss.
91% of the watermelon is water. That keeps you well hydrated throughout the day and easily tricks your stomach into thinking that it is already full.
Going on a diet by eating less isn’t fun or easy if you are always hungry. The trick is to eat food that makes you feel full for a longer period of time.
The fiber content in the watermelon, coupled with the high water content, helps to make you feel fuller for a longer time.
Many doctors recommend that we all drink 8 glasses of water daily to keep hydrated, which is not always easy to do. Eating watermelons can help with that as the fruit contains more than 91% water.
How Does the Watermelon Diet Work?
So how does the watermelon diet work?
The watermelon diet works in several ways.
First, the watermelon diet is a low-calorie diet and works by making your body burn more calories than it is consuming.
Second, in the watermelon diet, you are required to eliminate most processed foods while consuming the nutrients from watermelon, which is supposed to detox your body.
By eliminating processed foods, you give your body a break and your body’s natural detoxification process is restored. As a result, you are better able to eliminate toxins and waste from your body. It is important to quickly get rid of toxins since they usually get stored in fat cells to protect your body. More toxins mean more fat!
At the same time, as you burn existing fat through the diet, you will also release the toxins that were stored in fat, which should now get eliminated efficiently through the body’s renewed detoxification function.
Another unique feature of the watermelon diet is that you will be receiving plenty of fluids while consuming the fruit.
Even just the mere act of chewing and swallowing makes you feel as if you already ate lots of food, but actually it’s just a fruit rich in water content!
The rind in the watermelon is edible and actually is very nutritious.
For those with a sweet tooth, the watermelon diet helps by providing 6 grams of natural sugar per 100 grams of watermelon.
How To Do the Watermelon Diet
There is no one-size-fits-all watermelon diet plan for all dieters. In the end, you just have to look for what suits you best.
For the watermelon diet to be successful, you must stick to the allowed foods. You should avoid junk foods, alcohol, and highly processed foods.
Below are 3 popular versions of the watermelon diet: the 3-day watermelon diet, which is the most popular watermelon diet, watermelon in every meal diet, and watermelon for snacks diet.
Watermelon Diet Version 1: Three Day Watermelon Fast
The first version of the watermelon diet is to consume only watermelon for 3 days.
The recommended amount is to eat at least 26 cups of watermelon a day. This adds up to about 1,200 calories, which is the minimum amount of calories to prevent your metabolism from slowing.
You can eat the watermelon at any time. Below is a sample watermelon fast meal plan.
It may be a bit boring from a taste perspective to eat nothing but watermelon for 3 days, but you won’t be hungry as you can eat as much watermelon as you like.
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Breakfast||6 cups of watermelon and coffee|
|Lunch||10 cups of watermelon and coffee|
|Dinner||10 cups of watermelon and tea|
Zero-calorie drinks such as coffee and tea are allowed. Coffee is recommended as it helps further with preventing hunger.
Watermelon Diet Version 2: – Watermelon In Every Meal for 5 days
This version of the watermelon diet requires you to add watermelon to every meal. The recommended length is 5 days, and no snacks are allowed.
Below is a sample 5-day watermelon diet meal plan (1).
Watermelon Diet Version 3: Two Meals and Watermelon For Snacks for 5 days
This version of the watermelon diet allows for 2 meals and only watermelon as snacks. Non-caloric drinks such as coffee and green tea are allowed throughout the day.
The meals should include a reasonable portion of lean protein such as lean beef, skinless chicken, or fish. They should also include a small bowl of rice or a large portion of fresh vegetables.
Only 2 to 3 slices of watermelon are allowed as snacks.
Again the recommended length is about 5 to 6 days.
Below is a sample meal plan. A similar meal plan should be followed for a period of 5 to 6 days.
Two Meals and Watermelon For Snacks – Sample Daily Meal Plan
A small portion of salad dressing is allowed with the vegetable salad.
Watermelon Diet Exercise Secrets
If you plan to incorporate exercise during the watermelon diet, keep your workout sessions light.
Since the watermelon diet only gives a very minimal amount of calories, extremely intense workouts can make you feel dizzy and exhausted.
The good news is, based on multiple studies (2, 3), watermelon has shown to alleviate muscle pain, due to its l-citrulline content. L-citrulline is an amino acid that appears to protect against muscle pain.
For best results, eat the watermelon prior to your workouts.
According to a study in the African food and chemistry journal, 7 men were provided 500 ml of natural watermelon juice with citrulline powder 1 hour prior to working out.
The study concluded that their intestines absorbed the citrulline more from the watermelon juice than from the supplements.
5 Benefits of the Watermelon Diet
Here’s a list of benefits of the watermelon diet:
1. As watermelon is made up of more than 91% water, you will be well hydrated
2. Getting natural fruit water from watermelon is a nutritious alternative to regular tap water or even filtered water
3. Watermelon contains a powerful antioxidant called lycopene, which helps further with the detox process
4. You can eat the watermelon rind and seeds, which are both highly nutritious
5. Watermelon contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals including magnesium, potassium, Vitamin A, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin C
4 Precautions When Going On the Watermelon Diet
The watermelon diet is effective and helps dieters to lose weight fast. However, if not done correctly, it can cause some negative consequences.
Here are some of the precautions when going on the watermelon diet:
1. Due to lack of dietary protein and good fats, the 3-day watermelon fast should not be done by young children, persons with compromised immune system or pregnant women
2. In order to maintain the weight loss and avoid yo-yo dieting, you should stick to a healthy diet and regular exercise routine after the watermelon diet
3. This diet is not recommended for long-term
4. There should be a sufficient break before re-starting the watermelon diet
5 Tips When Going On the Watermelon Diet
1. You should not do the watermelon diet if you have pre-existing health conditions or are pregnant
2. Eat ripe watermelons, for maximum nutritional value
3. As part of the detox process, you may experience detox symptoms such as headaches, back pain, sweating, rashes, and/or cold-like symptoms. If you experience these symptoms, drink plenty of water to help flush out the toxins from your body.
4. If you feel sick or dizzy from the diet, stop the diet right away
5. Make sure to get enough sleep to maintain your metabolism and prevent hunger. Sleep will also ensure you have enough energy to get through the day while you are on this very low-calorie diet.
(1) lifejacks; The Watermelon Diet: Cleanse your body and lose weight simultaneously: https://www.lifejacks.com/the-watermelon-diet-cleanse-your-body-and-lose-weight-simultaneously/
(2) E Times; This new Weight loss diet is for Watermelon lovers! But should you really do it?: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/life-style/health-fitness/weight-loss/this-new-weight-loss-diet-is-for-watermelon-lovers-but-should-you-really-do-it/articleshow/63611885.cms
(3) Dr. Mercola; 6 Things You Didn’t Know About Watermelon: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2014/07/21/watermelon-nutrition.aspx