Over the past few years, many health and fitness experts have been promoting a high protein low carb diet plan. With this plan, you are basically consuming between 30 to 60 % of daily calories in the form of protein, and the rest from carbs, fruits, veggies, and fats. There are benefits and drawbacks to this type of diet, and depending on your current health and goals, the diet might be the perfect choice for some, while it may not be the ideal choice for others.
Pros Of A High Protein Low Carb Diet Plan
With lower carbs and higher protein, you are going to notice some benefits, which include:
- less calorie intake, since common carb products such as bread and pastries tend to have very high calories;
- eventually less feelings of hunger between meals;
- more even energy level;
- for body builders and those trying to build lean muscle, this is a great diet to follow as it promotes weight loss;
- the body will reach ketosis quickly (burns fat, as opposed to carbs, so you can lose weight faster); and,
- you are not going to be sluggish after meals, which usually happens after high carb meals.
Cons Of A High Protein Low Carb Diet Plan
Of course there are some drawbacks to this diet. Some of the cons of high protein, low carb diets are:
- stress on the kidney if you do not drink enough water;
- potential lack of essential vitamins and minerals by drastically reducing carbs;
- constipation if enough fiber is not taken;
- feelings of weakness and lethargy
High Protein Low Carb Diet Plan Tips
As with any other diet, or lifestyle you choose, with high protein, low carb diets, you have to know what the proper balance is, and you have to know when too much, or too little, is going to affect your health. For body builders, and those who work out constantly, high amounts of protein is needed in your system in order to function and have sufficient fuel. But, you must include healthy carbs, and should not cut them out entirely.
Knowing what the healthy balance is, making sure you consume a sufficient amount of healthy carbs each day, which can come in the form of fruits and vegetables, is essential in any diet. Although carbs should not be consumed too often, or in too high an amount, you do need them as a source of fuel in your system, and if you choose healthy carbs, they are going to promote a healthier lifestyle : )