Stress and weight gain are closely connected, and it may not be too far-fetched to say that for most people, their weight gain is a direct result of stress. When do you crave sweets or fatty food? When you are stressed or when you are relaxed?
Looking back, what was your life like when you first gained weight? And what is going on in your life when you typically gain weight? What is going on in your life NOW, that stresses you out and prevents you from losing weight? If you are the type of person that craves sweets and fatty foods when you are stressed, then eliminating or reducing stress is really important, if you want to lose weight. It may be more important than what you eat or exercising.
Because until you eliminate the stress, you will always have the craving.
You may be thinking, I have no stress in my life. However if you are constantly craving sweets and fatty food, there is most likely stress in your life whether you realize it or not.
Home Dieting Essentials
Stress and Weight Gain, Reducing the Stress
You may not be able to eliminate the source of the stress whatever that may be, but you can take care of yourself better to reduce the stress.
– Take time out to do the things you enjoy and love
– Take frequent breaks during work/chores (set an hourly reminder to take a short break!)
– Do exercises/stretches/meditations that relax you
– Most importantly get enough sleep
Once you’re relaxed, then you can really focus on food and exercise, and get results.
If eliminating stress is impossible for you right now, then follow these tips while working on a solution to remove that stress in the future:
– Take a deep breath!
– Eat a small portion of those sweets/fatty foods
– Afterwards, do something else that you enjoy (give it some time), and see if you still feel like eating more. Chances are you won’t feel like eating any more once you’re more relaxed.
– Keep a journal about your feelings in general. It is a great way to get in touch with your feelings and what is going on in your life — and reduce stress — and hopefully lose weight!