Fresh, homemade juices have amazing health benefits, and they are certainly something to incorporate into your regular diet.
Especially for people who have busy schedules that have difficulty eating enough vegetables, the benefits of fresh juices easily outweigh any cons.
However, if you are thinking of juicing to lose weight, you should make sure to do research on how to do it correctly. This is because if done incorrectly, you can end up gaining more weight or even risking your health.
Unless you work with an expert on your juicing diet plan, adding juicing as part of an overall healthy diet and lifestyle is probably the best way to incorporate juicing to lose weight.
In other words, it is perfectly safe to add fresh juices to your diet or replace a meal or two with fresh juices. If you are healthy, it is safe to do a juice fast for 3-5 days as well.
However, a complete juice fast for longer than 5 days is best done together with a physician or an expert.
Benefits of Juicing
The benefits of juicing are numerous. Below is a documentary film that will truly communicate the power of juicing.
There is even an organization that uses juicing for cancer treatments called the Gerson Institute.
Below are the main benefits of juicing: (1)
- Ability to consume a large volume of raw vegetables, which maintain their nutritional values significantly more by being in a raw state
- Easy absorption of nutrients. With all the prescription drugs, stress, and junk food, our digestive system is not always able to absorb nutrients properly. Juicing is one way to absorb the nutrients we need.
- Ability to consume nutrients from a large volume of vegetables, which we all tend to fall short on.
• Ability to consume nutrients from a wider variety of produce, which is important since we tend to eat the same fruits and veggies all the time.
• Ability to consume the high-quality water from fresh produce. Water in produce has more effective nutrients, and getting nutritious, clean water is so important!
• Resulting benefits are detoxing and improved health, and can include reversal of chronic or severe health conditions.
Risks and Negatives of Juicing
If juicing is done incorrectly, it can have risks and/or negative side effects.
-> Do Not Drink Pure Fruit Juices
The most common mistake people make is drinking pure fruit juices. These are not healthy and will result in weight gain. That is because fresh juices don’t have much fiber and get absorbed quickly into your body.
With pure fruit juices, which contain a lot of sugar, the sugar in the fruit gets absorbed into the body too quickly. This will spike up your insulin, which can lead to negative health effects such as more fat getting stored in your body and experiencing a sugar crash later on (2).
-> Consume Good Fats
Another mistake people make is not consuming healthy fats when going on a juice cleanse. This happens easily since raw vegetables and fruits used for juicing do not contain much fat. This may result in extreme hunger and/or nutrient deficiency, since good fats are what help you feel satiety and contain essential nutrients.
-> List of Risks and Cons of Juicing
Below is a list of potential risks and cons of juicing:
- Consuming too much sugar too fast from drinking pure fruit juices.
- Not consuming good fats resulting in extreme hunger and potential nutrient deficiency.
- Deficiency in vitamin B12 from not consuming meat for a long time. Vitamin B12 is the only vitamin that cannot be obtained from plant sources.
- Not consuming enough calories per day during a juice fast, and slowing down the body’s metabolism.
- Not exercising during the juicing diet, and losing muscle mass along with the pounds.
Is Juicing Healthy For Weight Loss?
Juicing, when done right, is extremely healthy for weight loss!
For juicing to be effective for weight loss, it is important to drink vegetable-heavy juices. Vegetable-heavy juices will typically be low in calories and sugar, which make them perfect as additions to your diet, or as replacement meals. Ideally 80% of the juice should be from vegetables.
Can Juicing Make You Lose Weight Fast?
Yes, fast weight loss is possible with juicing, especially if you do a juice fast, which is very challenging.
The RebootwithJoe website, founded by Joe Cross from the film Fat Sick and Nearly Dead, even has a Community group called “Saying Goodbye to 100lbs or more!!!” started by a member who has lost more than 100 pounds, with 2,203 members as of this writing, with many of them experiencing very fast weight loss with juicing.
Joe Cross’s website is an excellent resource for anyone who is interested in juice fasts or simply incorporating juicing as part of your life (no, we are not an affiliate :).
How To Make Healthy Home Juices For Weight Loss
Here are simple steps to start juicing to lose weight.
Step 1: Buy a good juicer.
Learn about which juicer may be best for you here.
Step 2: Buy produce.
Here is information on best vegetables and fruits for juicing.
Step 3: Start juicing!
We have carefully put together lots of juicing recipes for weight loss. They are categorized into Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced.
Step 4: Go on a juice fast or replace 1 or 2 meals with fresh juices.
Read about potential side effects of juicing, so you are not surprised when they happen.
Tips For Juicing To Lose Weight
- Consult an expert or a physician if juice fasting for more than 5 days.
- Juice a variety of vegetables and fruits to ensure you get a balanced diet.
- Make sure to consume good fats such as coconut oil and olive oil. You can also take fish oil supplements.
- Take B12 supplements if going on a long-term juice fast.
- Consume enough calories each day; at least 800 calories for women and 1100 calories for men.
- Buy organic produce as much as possible. Learn more about which conventional vegetables and fruits are most contaminated.
- Limit your fruits to 20-30% of the juice.
- Joining a community of juicers will help keep you motivated and informed.
- Make sure to do muscle exercises to prevent muscle loss.
- The first few days of juicing are typically the hardest, typically accompanied by hunger and cravings for your old foods. If you get hungry, drink another vegetable-heavy juice with good fats, which will help you feel full.
(1) Dr. Mercola; ‘Super Juice Me’ Documents Profound Healing Effects of Juicing: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2015/04/11/health-benefits-juicing.aspx
(2) Bodybuilding.com; The Muscle-Building Messenger: Your Complete Guide To Insulin: https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/the-muscle-building-messenger-complete-guide-to-insulin.html