Have you gained weight recently, and are wondering, how to lose weight in 10 days? Is it possible to lose weight in 10 days in a way that is noticeable and keep it off? Absolutely! People do it all the time. What allows people to be successful versus not successful? It all boils down to using the right methods and as always, will power 🙂
10 days can feel like a long time when you are on a diet and trying something new, so make sure to find a period when your life is relatively calm and not stressful. For example, the beginning of the new year or after vacation is a perfect time, as most people have rested over the holidays or vacation, and feeling motivated.
Foods To Increase During the 10 Days
Increasing the intake of following foods will help you burn fat while making you feel full during the 10 days.
- Lean meat
- Fish and seafood
- Low-carb vegetables
- Good fats
According to a study (1), increasing protein when combined with a carb-free diet, has shown to increase metabolism of the body.
Protein and good fats are essential for making you feel full and preventing your mind from obsessing about food during these 10 days.
Low-carb vegetables provide you the volume and nutrients, without the calories. You do not have to worry about eating too much when it comes to low-carb vegetables.
Home Dieting Essentials
Foods To Reduce During the 10 Days
It is important to reduce the following foods during the 10 days, in order to lose as much weight as possible. The more you reduce the following foods, the more you will lose weight.
- Anything made from flour
- Processed foods
Sugar, flour, and rice have high calories and convert to glucose (also sometimes called “blood sugar”) in your body very quickly often leaving you with some type of sugar crash as well as leaving you extremely hungry shortly afterwards.
While brown flour and brown rice are much more nutritious than white flour and white rice, for weight loss, they should be avoided during the 10 days since they contain high calories.
Processed foods not only typically contain sugar and starch, they also contain artificial ingredients and preservatives which are unhealthy and hinder weight loss.
Best Weight Loss Foods
Below are best foods to eat to lose weight during the 10 days. Instead of focusing on the things you CANNOT eat, focus on eating more of these foods as often as possible. It’s important and helpful to change your focus to your goal. Get creative and add herbs and spices.
1. Organic eggs
Organic eggs are one of the best weight loss foods, as they are nutritious, provide satiety, and according to a study also have antioxidant properties (2).
In order to preserve their nutrients, you should avoid putting them in microwaves. Their flavor can be enhanced by adding sea salt, paprika, turmeric, mustard or some other spice or herb.
According to a study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, it is safe to eat 12 eggs a week (3).
Spinach is ideal for weight loss, since it provides volume, is low-calorie, and is highly nutritious.
It is helpful to always keep a few bags of prewashed spinach in your fridge, so you can eat them as appetizers, salads, or sides.
Extra virgin olive oil is ideal to use as a dressing, due to its weight-loss and health promoting properties.
3. Coconut oil
Coconut oil, being one of the good fats, can help keep your hunger feeling under control during your diet. A couple of studies have even shown that coconut oil can reduce belly fat (4).
While you should avoid gobbling down coconut oil, you can use it as cooking oil to prevent feelings of hunger and add a sweet flavor to your dishes at the same time.
Coconut oil can also be used as salad dressing.
4. Chicken Breast
Chicken breasts are an ideal food for weight loss, as they are lean and contain protein. The protein in the chicken breast will help you burn more calories, reduce food cravings (5), and as importantly, give you the energy you need during the 10 days.
5. Yellow Mustard
There are only 3 calories in a teaspoon of yellow mustard, which along with its metabolism-boosting qualities and tastiness, makes it one of the best weight loss foods.
You can feel safe in adding a generous amount of mustard to all your dishes, and ideally replace mayonnaise with mustard or reduce the amount of mayonnaise, which is high-calorie with 57 calories per teaspoon.
Coffee can work mainly in 3 ways to help you lose weight. First, it boosts your metabolism (6), and second, it may have an appetite suppressing effect (7), and third, it can boost exercise performance (8).
Make sure to drink organic, black coffee. If you like your coffee sweet, you can add a natural herbal sweetener Stevia, to make your coffee sweet without the calories. For maximum nutritional value, it is preferable that you grind the coffee beans yourself. Try drinking coffee before workouts to improve your exercise endurance and performance.
Pregnant women should avoid caffeine.
Tomatoes are one of the best weight loss foods are they are both low in calories, with only 22 calories in a medium-sized tomato, and high in antioxidants. Tomatoes are a great source of lycopene, which is a phytonutrient that is known to enhance your immune system.
You can enjoy tomatoes roasted, sautéed or raw.
Ginger helps with weight loss by helping to kill bad bacteria in your body as well as speeding up metabolism. Yeast overgrowth is a common side effect of eating too much sugar and carbs, and ginger is one of the super foods that help kill yeast in your body.
While you can enjoy ginger cooked, consuming it raw yields maximum results. Enjoy them in vegetable juices or ginger shots.
Carrots have lots of fiber and strong anti-bacterial properties, which help keep your digestive system healthy. They also provide satiety which is important so that you don’t get hungry during the 10 days and reach for a bag of potato chips.
10. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Extra virgin olive oil is another food item to use generously during the 10 days. Extra virgin olive oil is highly nutritious with numerous health benefits including weight loss.
Extra virgin olive oil, being a healthy fat, plays an important role in controlling excess insulin, which is what makes us gain weight (9). Extra virgin olive oil also reduces feelings of hunger and obsessive thoughts about food.
Extra virgin olive oil is an ideal oil to consume cold, for example as a salad dressing.
Best Fruits For Weight Loss
The best fruits for weight loss are those that are nutritious while being low in sugar and calories.
Berries of all kinds are the ideal fruits for weight loss, as they have lots of antioxidants but are generally low in sugar and calories.
Strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries are best fruits for weight loss and recommended in place of any other type of sweets such as cakes and cookies.
You can sweeten them with Stevia, without worrying about ill health effects or calories.
Water Weight Loss
People often talk about the fact that much or a part of the weight loss when you lose weight can be water weight loss.
That is true and a natural process. While most of the weight loss will be due to fat burning for most people, you will also drop the pounds from losing water weight.
This is normal since as your body releases glycogen from your body from reduced insulin, it also releases water that bind to the glycogen. Glycogen is what was converted from unused carbs and stored in your body. (10)
Each gram of glycogen can hold up to 3 grams of water (11). So for some people, this can add up to a lot of retained water being released.
Just know that losing water weight is a natural, normal part of losing weight, and you are losing the excess water your body no longer needs.
Even if part of your weight loss is from water weight loss, you will still look great with a slimmer body.
Weight Loss Exercise Plan
Although you do not need to exercise to drop pounds, it is recommended for sustained weight loss, better health, better digestion, mental health, and better body circulation.
It is recommended that you incorporate a weight loss exercise plan that is slightly challenging for you personally. Every person is at a different athletic endurance level, so you should take care to choose one that works for your current athletic performance level.
For some people, that may be 30-minute brisk walking, for others, it may be high-intensity interval training or heavy weight lifting.
Ideally, you should exercise at least 3 to 4 times a week, at least 30 minutes each. Make sure to warm up and stretch first, before starting the exercise. It will help to add weight lifting to your weight loss exercise plan, as building muscle will help prevent metabolism from slowing down during the 10 days, and make it easier for you to maintain your weight long-term.
Quick Weight Loss Tips To Lose Weight in 10 Days
- Taking psyllium husk daily will help you feel full and provide the fiber your body needs.
- Eat 2 to 3 meals per day during the 10 days. If you can, only eat lunch and dinner. This is a form of intermittent fasting which can help you lose weight even more quickly. You can eat a lot of volume for those meals, as long as they are the right foods.
- Cook or prepare everything you eat from scratch. This way, you control the ingredients and get the maximum nutritional benefits.
- For the 10 days, try not to eat between meals, as these snacks can add up to quite a number of calories. If you eat the right foods, you should not get too hungry between meals. Also, for some people, eating can create more desire to eat, which ends up in eating lots of snacks. Alternatively, eat those healthy “snacks” together with your meals, making them part of the meal.
- Make sure to drink a lot of water to help the body get rid of excess water and toxins, and to avoid constipation.
- If you plan your meals in advance, you will have a higher chance of success.
- If you feel dizzy or sick, stop the diet and rest for 1-2 days. Do not continue until you feel better.
- Get plenty of sleep during the 10 days, as lack of sleep will make you more hungry and can lead to wrong food choices.
(1) National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine; Gluconeogenesis and energy expenditure after a high-protein, carbohydrate-free diet: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19640952
(2) ScienceDaily; Eggs’ antioxidant properties may help prevent heart disease and cancer, study suggests: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/07/110706093900.htm
(3) National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine; The effect of a high-egg diet on cardiovascular risk factors in people with type 2 diabetes: the Diabetes and Egg (DIABEGG) study-a 3-mo randomized controlled trial: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25833969
(4), (5) Healthline; How to Lose Weight Fast: 3 Simple Steps, Based on Science: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-to-lose-weight-as-fast-as-possible#modal-close
(6) BodyBuilding.com; The Truth About Caffeine!: https://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-truth-about-caffeine.htm
(7) Healthline; Can Coffee Increase Your Metabolism and Help You Burn Fat?: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/coffee-increase-metabolism
(8) Mercola; Black Coffee in the Morning and Green Tea in the Afternoon May Provide Valuable Health Benefits: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/01/18/black-coffee-green-tea-health-benefits.aspx
(9) Dr. Axe; Olive Oil Benefits for Your Heart & Brain: https://draxe.com/olive-oil-benefits/
(10) Healthline; A 7-Step Plan to Lose 10 Pounds in Just One Week: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/lose-10-pounds-in-one-week
(11) Dr. Axe; How to Lose Water Weight the Right Way: https://draxe.com/how-to-lose-water-weight/