Can You Lose 10 Pounds In A Week?
Yes, while the typical suggested weight loss is 1-2 pounds per week, you certainly can lose 10 pounds or more in 1 week!
In the documentary Fast Sick and Nearly Dead, Phil lost 17 pounds in the first 5 days. In the Biggest Loser, the largest weight loss achieved by a contestant in 1 week was a whopping 34 pounds (1).
However, According to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, evidence has shown that people who lose 1-2 pounds per week are more likely to keep the weight off (2). This means you will need to be extremely diligent after the 7-day diet to maintain the weight loss.
Counting Calories: A Calorie Is A Calorie Method
Calorie counting diets strictly focus on the calories only, and do not differentiate the food sources from which the calories are coming from. For example, 100 calories from lean, organic protein is assumed to be the same as 100 calories from sugar. This method may not be the best method to use for losing 10 pounds in a week.
Based on this method, you need to have a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound (3). In other words, when you have burned 3,500 calories MORE than you have consumed, you will lose 1 pound.
Deficit of 3,500 calories = Loss of 1 pound of weight
This can happen over any length of time, such as within 3 days or within 1 month.
For example, if you reach a deficit of 3,500 calories in 2 days, you can lose 1 pound in 2 days.
To lose 10 pounds in 1 week, you will need to lose an average of 1.43 pounds per day.
Using this “calorie is a calorie” method, since you need a deficit of 3,500 calories to lose 1 pound, to lose 1.43 pounds, you will need a deficit of 5000 calories per day on average.
Note that just by living, we are all burning calories without doing anything. This is called the Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR), and the heavier your already are, the more calories you are burning everyday just by being alive. That already contributes to the calories you need to burn. Check out your BMR here.
To lose 10 pounds in a week, each day:
Your BMR + additional calories you need to burn – calories you consume => Must be 5000 calories
Your BMR is 1500 calories + Burn 4700 calories through daily life and exercise – You eat 1200 calories = 5000 calories
In this scenario, about 300 calories would be burned through regular daily life. For the remaining 4400 calories, how can you burn so many calories through exercise? For example, a 160-pound person would burn about 450 calories per hour with general jogging (4). That person would need to go jogging for about 10 hours every day to burn 4400 calories!
That does not seem possible for this realistic scenario.
Calorie Is NOT A Calorie Method
In truth, a calorie is NOT a calorie, and by eating a certain combination of foods combined with supplements and the right exercise, you will be able to lose substantial weight.
This is because the human body is complex, with different reactions to different foods and exercise methods. Certain foods and exercise methods have shown to allow the body to shed pounds faster.
Also every person is different, and some people have a better chance of losing 10 pounds in 1 week than others. For example, if your starting weight is higher, you will more easily be able to lose 10 pounds compared to those that weigh less. If you have severe water retention, going on a certain diet may allow you to lose significant water weight. If you are severely constipated, going on a diet that detoxes you can make you lose that weight from constipation.
What It Means To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
While combining certain foods and exercises may enable you to lose 10 pounds in 1 week, it will not be a walk in the park. All bad foods including sugary, starchy, processed, and junk foods will have to be avoided. This is also important to detox your body, which accelerates weight loss.
In such a short period, you will not avoid losing water weight. When you lose weight, your body releases glycogen, and along with it, water. Each gram of glycogen can hold up to 3 times as much water in your body. That can add up to quite a bit of water for some people!
In order not to lose muscle during this time, you should do muscle exercises. These exercises will also help you lose more weight.
You still need to count calories as some of the foods such as protein and good fats can make you gain weight if over-consumed.
How To Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
Below is one way to try losing 10 pounds in 1 week. It is recommended that you monitor your progress daily, and adjust the calories as needed.
1. During the week, ONLY eat the following foods:
- Lean meat
- Organic eggs
- Fish and seafood
- Low-carb vegetables
- Good fats
- Zero calorie drinks such as water, tea, coffee, green tea with no artificial sweeteners. You can use Stevia to sweeten your drinks.
- Natural herbs and spices including yellow mustard, sea salt, and pepper
Above are the best fat burning foods for weight loss. By eating just these foods, you will be eliminating bad foods such as sugar, starch and processed foods. This will also have a detoxing effect, which will release FAT, since toxins bind to fat (5).
2. Take psyllium husk powder twice a day, before a meal
Psyllium husk will provide you lots of fiber, which will help keep you regular. Psyllium husk is great for weight loss, since it expands to 10 to 20 times its original size, making you feel full quicker and longer.
3. Women should consume at least 800 calories and up to 1200 calories per day, and men should consume at least 1100 calories and up to 1500 calories per day
These ranges fall under a low-calorie diet. Anything below these ranges is usually considered a very low calorie diet, and depending on your health condition, would require medical supervision. (6)
It is recommended that your monitor your weight daily and adjust the calories as needed. Depending on your starting weight, exercise level, metabolism, etc. you may need to adjust down (within the range) to reach the 10-pound weight loss goal.
4. Do muscle training that is slightly challenging for you personally, at least 3-4 times during the week
This is mainly to prevent muscle loss. Building muscle will also have an added benefit of enabling your body to burn more calories throughout the day.
Tips When Losing 10 Pounds A Week
- Control your environment to make the diet as comfortable as possible. For example, ask people not to eat your favorite sweets in front of you.
- If you can incorporate intermittent fasting, you will most likely lose more weight
- Taking a multivitamin every day will ensure you have the minimum, basic vitamins
- Continue eating healthy foods after the diet to help maintain the weight loss
Crash Diets That Claim You Can Lose 10 Pounds In A Week
If you are looking for something different, below are some crash diets that purport you can lose 10 pounds in 1 week. Each crash diet has its pros and cons, so be sure to evaluate each one carefully!
(1) Live Science; ‘The Biggest Loser’ Has Big Problems, Health Experts Say: https://www.livescience.com/9820-biggest-loser-big-problems-health-experts.html
(2) CDC; Losing Weight: https://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html
(3) Mayo Clinic; Counting calories: Get back to weight-loss basics: https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065
(4) Calorie Lab; https://calorielab.com/burned/
(5) Paleo Leap; DO PEOPLE REALLY “RELEASE TOXINS” WHEN THEY LOSE WEIGHT?: https://paleoleap.com/do-people-release-toxins-when-they-lose-weight/
(6) WebMD; Very Low-Calorie Diets: What You Need to Know: https://www.webmd.com/diet/low-calorie-diets#1