What are causes of sudden weight gain which can happen to anyone regardless of race, age or gender?
Aside from pregnancy, below are possible causes of sudden weight gain.
* Undiagnosed Health Problems. According to your recent medical exam results, you are healthy as before, so why are you suddenly going over the ideal weight? Annual examinations typically cover only the basics: complete blood count (CBC), blood pressure, chest x-ray, eyes/ears/nose check-ups, dental, urinalysis, fecalysis and sometimes sugar levels. Unknown health problem/s may be lurking and waiting to be diagnosed. Weight gain more often than not is associated with menstrual irregularities and hormonal imbalance (hypothyroidism). Seek help from the experts; your local clinic may have recommendations for an endocrinologist.
* Lifestyle Change. Were you just relocated to an area with a colder climate? And does your morning now call for a lazy coffee session in front of the fireplace instead of your usual thirty-minute jogging uphill? These little unnoticed changes in your lifestyle may be one of the suspects. Some obvious changes include quitting smoking. Since you’re over and done with your favorite stick, you resort to something else. Most likely, something sweet. Candies may satisfy as an alternative at first; before you know it you cannot resist these increasing cravings anymore. Does the left-over, tasty-looking cake in the fridge look more enticing?
Home Dieting Essentials
* Psychological Problems. In short, stress. Worse, depression. Weight gain is often linked to stress-related issues. Stress eaters tend to consume foods high in carbohydrates which equate to packing more pounds fast.
* Change in Eating Habits. Have you changed your eating habits triggered by a change in your environment; for example a change in weather, change in workplace? Don’t be surprised to find an inch added to your waistline after devouring a pint of ice cream every time your favorite TV program is on. Or you may have started a habit of eating bagel with cream cheese every morning for breakfast. Think about how your eating habits changed, and go back to what you did before your weight gain.
* Medications. Medications such as birth control pills and antidepressants can contribute to sudden weight change, losing or gaining. Switch brands to see if that helps. If you are caught in a situation where you are left with no option but to take those specific prescription drugs, our advice is to sweat it out – exercise.