Are you wondering what are 5 foods never to eat, to stay healthy or lose weight?
Yes, there are foods you are better off avoiding entirely, and erase from your vocabulary of potential meals!
Below are five foods never to eat, for optimal health and weight loss.
5 Foods Never To Eat For Optimal Health and Weight Loss
5 Foods Never To Eat #1: Anything Genetically Engineered
More and more genetically modified foods have started to hit the shelves in supermarkets in the US. However, their safety remains questionable.
Home Dieting Essentials
Below are potential dangers of genetically modified foods, also called genetically modified organisms (GMOs) (1):
- premature death
- failure of organs
- gastric lesions
- damage to the liver
- kidney damage
- allergic reaction
Given the above risks, you should avoid eating anything genetically engineered.
Below are 7 commonly genetically engineered foods (2) (3):
4. Yellow Crookneck Squash and Zucchini
6. Sugar Beets
If you buy anything with the above ingredients, make sure the label says the ingredient is “Non-GMO”.
5 Foods Never To Eat #2: Unfiltered Tap Water
More than half of our bodies are made up of water, so it is important to drink good water. Since we drink water multiple times a day, it makes a difference if we drink healthy water or contaminated water.
Unfortunately, most tap water is contaminated to some degree, and not ideal for optimal health and weight loss.
Depending on where you live, here are possible contaminants in your tap water:
- Prescription and OTC drugs
Here is a map by the U.S. Department of the Interior, U.S. Geological Survey that shows arsenic levels on the map of U.S.
Make sure to filter your tap water before drinking or using for cooking. Spring water is also a good alternative.
You will see the positive effects of drinking clean water even on your skin, hair, and nails!
5 Foods Never To Eat #3: Farm-Raised Salmon
While wild salmon is ultra healthy, farm-raised salmon should be avoided for the following reasons (4):
- They are usually fed genetically modified foods
- They are often fed antibiotics, drugs and chemicals not safe for humans
- They are more likely to get infected with dangerous viruses
Next time you are eating out, you are better off skipping the grilled salmon and eating a club sandwich : )
5 Foods Never To Eat #4: Processed Foods
If you look at the ingredient list of most processed foods, you will find that 1) there are many ingredients and 2) many of them are chemical compounds.
Although processed foods are very convenient since they are ready-to-eat, you should avoid them as much as possible.
Here are the main reasons to avoid processed foods:
- Many processed foods contain genetically modified corn and soy
- Many processed foods contain preservatives, coloring, flavorings, and other artificial ingredients harmful to the human body and even banned in some other countries outside the US
- Many materials holding processed foods, such as cans and wrappers, also contain toxic ingredients that often leach into the foods
- Most of them do not contain fiber and will spike up your blood sugar, which leads to weight gain
5 Foods Never To Eat #5: Unfermented Soy
Here is another food to watch out for.
Unfermented soy, whether genetically modified or not, appears to have very troubling effects on the body.
Unfermented soy is found in foods such as tofu, soy burgers, soy milk, and soy ice cream.
90-95% of soybeans grown in the US are genetically modified. So the worst kinds are the genetically modified, unfermented soy products!
Unfermented soy should be avoided since thousands of studies have linked them to:
- reproductive disorders
- immune-system dysfunction
- digestive disorders
- thyroid problems
- cognitive issues
- heart disease
If you like soy, stick with non-genetically modified, fermented soy products, which are very healthy.
Examples of healthy, fermented soy products are:
- Soy sauce
(1) Dr. Mercola; Why GMOs Can Never Be Safe: https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/08/06/genetic-modification.aspx
(2) Huffington Post; 7 Most Common Genetically Modified Foods: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/builtlean/diet-and-nutrition_b_4323937.html
(3) NONGMO Project; What is GMO?: https://www.nongmoproject.org/gmo-facts/what-is-gmo/
(4) Dr. Mercola; 10 Banned Foods Americans Should Stop Eating Infographic: https://www.mercola.com/infographics/10-banned-foods.htm
(5) Dr. Mercola; The 9 Foods You Should Never Eat; https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/06/10/9-unhealthy-foods.aspx