Cayenne Pepper Diet
The cayenne pepper diet, also known as the Master Cleanse or the lemonade diet, has gained popularity due to celebrity endorsements, but what exactly is this diet, and does it work? Unlike most other diets that are meant to be long-term changes, this is a short-term diet. In fact, it’s really a cleanse than a diet because you are relying on liquids to clean your body of toxins and lose weight. Read on to find out what the cayenne pepper diet is, the pros and cons and if it really does anything for you.
Celebrities Who Lost Weight With the Cayenne Pepper Diet
Robin Quivers, co-host of The Howard Stern Show, found the cayenne pepper diet while looking for “detox” to avoid what she believed was chronic illness and death in the future. She supposedly lost 73 pounds on the diet.
Another popular celebrity who succeeded with the diet is Beyonce Knowles, who lost 20 pounds in 14 days.
Cayenne Pepper Diet Allowed Foods and Instructions
There are 4 types of liquids allowed during the cayenne pepper diet, and there is a special produce diet you need to follow when coming out of the diet. During the cleanse, which can last up to 14 days, you can only have 1) the special lemonade, 2) salt water and/or a laxative tea, and 3) water.
The special lemonade is a combination of freshly squeezed lemon juice (2 tablespoons), purified water (8-10 ounces), grade B maple syrup (2 tablespoons) and cayenne pepper (1/10 teaspoon or more). To make it easier for the ingredients to combine, cayenne powder is often the best, but fresh cayenne can also be used. You should have this lemonade 6 or more times a day.
The salt water (2 tablespoons) is used during the morning to flush your body. The laxative tea is meant for the evening before going to sleep.
Some cayenne pepper diet plans also allow herbal teas in between drinking the lemonades. For weight loss purposes, this should not be a problem. However make sure to avoid caffeine.
Coming Out of the Cayenne Pepper Diet
When you are ready to stop the cayenne pepper diet, you will need to follow a special regimen to get your body used to solid food again, and this helps you reap more benefits.
In the beginning you should stick to liquids such as freshly squeezed juices from vegetables/fruits and broths. Some versions say you should only drink freshly squeezed orange juice on the first day coming out of the cleanse.
After 2 days of liquids, on the 3rd day, you need to eat only whole fruits and vegetables (can be raw or cooked). On the 4th day, you can start eating normally.
How it Works
Proponents of cayenne pepper for weight loss claim that cayenne has obesity fighting properties, including boosting metabolism and burning fat.
One study showed that people not used to eating spicy foods ate 66 calories less when they ate red pepper.
Another research has shown that drinking lemon water can be helpful to lose weight.
In summary, the significantly low calorie intake, combined with the weight loss friendly properties of cayenne and lemon water, is how the cayenne pepper diet works to make you lose weight.
- Since this is a cleanse, you will lose a lot of weight in a relatively short period of time.
- The ingredients are easy to prepare and anyone can do it.
- Cayenne has many medicinal benefits, and it has been shown to most likely help with weight loss.
- Proponents claim that as a detox diet, your body will be flushed of many toxins, leaving you feeling energetic and refreshed when the diet is finished.
- Your body may go into starvation mode, and your metabolism will most likely decline.
- Due to reduced metabolism, afterwards you may burn less calories than before you began the diet.
- Especially in the beginning you will most likely feel miserable.
- The diet lacks essential nutrients.
- If you are not healthy, you may become even more sick.
- There is a high chance of dehydration due to the salt water and laxative teas that are included in this diet. Make sure you drink a lot of water while doing this diet to ensure that your body is properly hydrated.
- Skeptics point out that the human body already has many systems in place to eliminate toxins from the body including the liver and kidneys, and we actually need nutrients to “detox” our body. They claim that the cayenne pepper diet, which lacks nutrients, may actually hinder the body’s detoxification process.
- Can be dangerous if you do it too long.
Who Should Avoid This Diet?
The following people should avoid the cayenne pepper diet:
- pregnant or breastfeeding women
- people with heart disease, diabetes, or other chronic conditions
- people not in optimal health
- Make sure you are healthy and feeling strong enough to do this cleanse.
- Some cayenne pepper diet plans recommend that you ease into the diet by switching to a whole vegetable and fruit diet a few days before the cleanse, and drinking only vegetable/fruit juice and/or broths for 1-2 days before the cleanse.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Listen to your body. If you feel sick or dizzy, stop the cleanse immediately.
- After the diet, be careful not to overeat. As a matter of fact, Beyonce Knowles herself apparently gained all the weight back. Make sure you stay within your calories to maintain your new weight! Click here to figure how how many calories you need to maintain your weight.
- Watch out for signs of yo-yo dieting. If you find yourself going on this diet and losing weight, only to gain it all back, and then going on this diet again to lose weight, and regaining the weight back again, you are yo-yo dieting, and this diet is not working for you.
- Remember that this diet should only be done for a short period of time. There will be various problems if you continue this diet long-term due to the lack of nutrients.
Get the most popular Crash Diets to your inbox NOW, and start becoming thinner & fitter TODAY.
We will ONLY send you 12 e-mails and then delete your e-mail.