Cabbage Soup Diet
What Is The Cabbage Soup Diet?
Do you want to lose 10 pounds in 1 week without being hungry? The Cabbage Soup Diet is popular with celebrities and many dieters, cheap, easy to make, and considered by many to be a bit of a miracle that can help people lose up to10 pounds in a single week.
Now, how is that possible? That much weight loss, without getting hungry?
It is quite simple. Cabbage has very few calories. Let’s compare how much cabbage you can eat compared with popular junk food.
Who Started the Cabbage Soup Diet?
No one seems to know who came up with the Cabbage Soup Diet. There are some theories that it goes back to World War 1 or the 1950s. One thing is for certain, it is a very popular diet with dieters and celebrities. Most people seem to like the fast weight loss, not being hungry, the costs (it is a cheap diet), and the ease of following this diet.
The Buffy, the Vampire Slayer actress Sarah Michelle Geller is a huge fan of the cabbage soup diet (source).
What Is Great About the Cabbage Soup Diet?
- Quick Weight Loss – You can lose up to 10 pounds in 1 week
- No Hunger – You won’t get hungry on this diet, as you can eat as much cabbage soup as you like. Cabbage is full of fiber that helps keep you full!
- It is cheap – This diet is dirt cheap. In addition to losing weight, you will also save money. Maybe you can use the saved money to buy the smaller sized dress or pants you are trying to fit into.
- It is healthy – Cabbage is an extremely healthy vegetable with a high quantity of antioxidants that can protect against breast and colon cancers as well as lower bad cholesterol. It is rich in fiber, vitamin C and vitamin K.
- It is easy to make – You’re basically buying vegetables (cabbage being the vegetable most used) and throwing them into a pot and making soup. You can make a whole batch of the soup and store it in your refrigerator and just heat it up for later. It doesn’t get much easier than that.
- Cleansing your Body – You will live junk-food free for 1 week, many people find they lost their cravings for bad food and that it helped them reset their taste buds to enjoy natural, whole foods. At the very least, the diet gives your body a break from all of the usual processed garbage we all eat. After a week of eating whole foods, many people find they have lost their cravings for sugar and refined carbs.
- A New You? – After losing weight with the cabbage soup diet, you may feel motivated to embark on a long-term sustainable diet to lose more weight.
Cabbage Soup Diet – Step by Step Instructions
You will be going on a diet for 7 full days, during which time you CAN EAT AS MUCH CABBAGE SOUP AS YOU LIKE and a limited variety of other foods. Talk about never being hungry on a diet. It may be boring, but you won’t be hungry.
Cabbage Soup Recipe
Cabbage Soup Diet Ingredients
- 2-3 table spoons of olive oil
- 1-4 garlic cloves
- 2 green peppers
- 2 onions
- 2-4 tomatoes
- 3 carrots
- 1 bunch celery
- 1 head of cabbage
- 1-2 cubes of Bouillon (optional)
- 4-5 cups of water (add more if needed)
Cabbage Soup Diet Cooking Instructions
- Finely chop all vegetables, but keep them separated
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large soup pot
- Saute garlic and onions until onions are slightly browned
- Add carrots and saute for another 2 minutes
- Add rest of the vegetables
- Pour in water and the Bouillon cubes
- Bring to a boil and simmer until your vegetables are to your desired tenderness
Follow the 7-day Cabbage Soup Diet eating plan below. You can eat UNLIIMITED cabbage soup at any time during the diet. Make sure to drink at least 64 ounces (8 glasses) of water per day. This is important since water helps your kidney to function properly to filter out waste. Drinking enough water also helps you avoid constipation, which is essential for dropping the pounds.
Tips When Going On the Cabbage Soup Diet
- To be safe, stick to only what is allowed in the diet. Even zero-calorie foods such as diet sodas and artificial sweeteners may interfere with the diet, as these contain unhealthy ingredients.
- If you feel sick or dizzy, try eating an egg or a small piece of chicken. If that doesn’t help, stop the diet immediately! You can try again another time when you are feeling stronger.
- Avoid going out during the 7 days. This is not a time to test your will power!
- Wait at least 2 weeks before you go on another cabbage soup diet
- If you want to exercise, do watch your energy levels. If you feel weak or dizzy, stop exercising.
- Make sure to drink lots of water every day. This will help you get rid of toxins and with bowel movements.
Q. Can I drink alcohol during the diet?
A. No, alcohol is not allowed. You should stick only to the allowed foods and beverages during the diet.
Q. Can I add artificial sweetener to my coffee or tea?
A. It is not recommended for optimal results. But if you are about to give up the diet because you miss the sweet taste, by all means, enjoy it in moderation.
Q. What should I do if I cheated?
A. If it’s a small cheat, then continue with the diet. If you’ve cheated major time, we recommend starting the diet again after 2 weeks. This is because if you continue, you may actually gain weight.
Q. For the fruit days, can I eat dried fruits?
A. No, you should only eat fresh fruits. Dried fruits contain a lot more sugar than fresh fruit, and eating them in large quantities will not only make you gain weight but is not good for your health.
Cabbage Soup Diet Shopping List
For 2 batches of cabbage soup:
4 green peppers
2 bunches of celery
2 heads of large cabbage
1 box of Bouillon cubes
For the rest of allowed foods:
Unlimited fruits (for bananas, up to 8)
Unlimited unsweetened tea
Unlimited non-starchy vegetables (at least 6 tomatoes)
1 big potato for baking
Unlimited skim milk
Unlimited beef (if substituting on Day 5, 10-20 ounces of skinless chicken or fish)
Unlimited brown rice
Good luck with the cabbage soup diet!